Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Baby Changes Everything

I do love this time of year. I love the lights, the decorations, the Christmas cards, the need for hot coffee from Starbucks (OK, so that is pretty much year round), the family gatherings, the faces of happy children, and for a couple of weeks, I love to listen to Christmas music. I like the traditional songs the best - such an old soul am I - but this year, I have a new favorite - a song by Faith Hill entitled "A Baby Changes Everything." I get chills every time I listen to it.

I will admit that I never really thought too much before about Mary's perspective on becoming the mother of Jesus. Then I heard this song and it made me stop and really think about how she must have felt. These were the facts that she was going to have to try to convince everyone to believe. She was just a teenager - Check. She wasn't married - Check. She was still a virgin and also carrying the Son of God. Hmm, these days they would have slapped a 5150 hold on her faster than you can say Britney Spears!

Of course she had fears and doubts about the plan that God had chosen for her. After all, she was only human. And my guess would be that she wasn't worried about health insurance, where to buy maternity clothes, and what the nursery theme should be. So this Christmas, while my focus will be on the gift of life through Jesus, I will also be remembering Mary and her faithfulness in serving as the Earthly mother to our Savior and King. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Mama A said...

Thanks Emily! Your blog helped me to stop and remember all that Christmas is about- especially since I am now a new mother! I can't imagine the burden that Mary must have felt as she tried to comprehend all that was in front of her.

Anonymous said...

Great song! I feel the same way about "Mary, Did You Know?" when it says "when you kissed your little baby, you kissed the face of God". It took great faith for Mary AND Joseph to obey God.