Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tiger Claws and Windmill Arms

Those are two of the things that Wyatt has learned so far in his swimming lessons. He started Monday night and will go every week night from 5:00 - 5:45 for two weeks.

The class is for 3 year olds to 6 year olds and they split the children up by ages. The parents do not get in the pool. The lifeguards are their teachers. There are only two other 4 year olds which is great. The kids sit on the side while his teacher takes each of them into the pool one at a time to practice a skill. She also had them practice skills while holding on to the side.





These pics are from the first night of class. He went up front when his age group was called and went off with the teacher. Then he sat on the edge like a little statue and waited until it was his turn to get in and practice. I could tell he was listening to everything she was telling him and took it very seriously.





He would turn around and wave at us almost every time he got back to the wall. It was pretty cute.





Then I took him the second night and it was a different child. I could tell that he wasn't as interested in practicing those same core skills that he had learned the night before. He was ready for a challenge. Instead of sitting still when it wasn't his turn, he was telling me to "watch this Mama" and would get off the side and disappear. Apparently he wanted to show me how he could go underwater but it was making me nervous because he was all over the place. Finally I called him over and told him to sit still and LISTEN.





I am so glad I waited until he was 4 to take the lessons. It is amazing how much difference a year makes. I think he would have been intimidated last summer and I don't think he would have gotten in without me. He is definitely ready and I think I will have a swimmer at the end of this class - maybe at the end of this week if he gets his way!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm glad he's enjoying his swimming lessons! He'll have to come over and show us what he learned in the lake!

LuLu's Lane said...

Wy looks happy at his swimming lessons. It looks like he is having lots of fun and keep Momma really busy this summer! Cute pic of you and Wy. I actually swam 3 nights this week too for exercise and am going again tonight. I have been worn out!

Sarah said...

Way to go Wy!!