Saturday, May 7, 2011

Our Story - Camp Donaldson Top 10

Top 10 Things I Learned From Hosting Camp Donaldson:

10. Don't start a Scrabble game with Aaron after 9 p.m. when you are already tired. He is not of the mind set to just throw out 3 or 4 letter words. He thinks. He ponders. He rearranges letters. He thinks some more. Then he debates on whether he should use all his letters on the double letter score or use just 6 of the letters on a triple word score which also opens up a new outlet for his next possible word. I mean I had no idea what I was signing up for. I just slap out words like 'book', 'salsa', or add an 's' to something already out there.

9. The basement was a GREAT idea. If you have to get stuck somewhere with lots of kids, get stuck at a place that has a basement. Any time it got just a little too loud upstairs, we would send the kids to the basement to play. It also was a great little place for the kids to camp out at night.

8. Always keep a good stock of basic medicines for all types of ailments. We had panic attacks, head aches, sore muscles, tummy issues - you name it, and I had just about something for everyone. The same can be said for paper products - bathroom tissue, paper towels, paper plates, etc.

7. A moderate amount of alcohol in these situations is appropriate. Be sure you have the proper mixers on hand as everyone's tastes vary.

6. Kids love a bon fire!



If you decide to have a one, you should have a supply of the regular size marshmallows on hand for S'mores. We only had the little baby ones and they were pretty pathetic. The kids had to work too hard just to get a little bit of gooey deliciousness.

5. Don't let children age 5 and under hold their own hangers over the fire as they might pop themselves in the lip when trying to test to see if their marshmallow is melted.

4. If you tell YouYou that you will watch a movie with her, you better be prepared to watch it. No falling asleep as she will pry your eyeballs open to check to see if you are awake! She is just the best little snuggler though so I couldn't help but "rest my eyes" which was the excuse I gave her.

3. Who says you can't swim in May (or was it still April)? Even though the water was a chilly 80 degrees, the kids took advantage of being able to take a quick dip this early in the season.

2. These are the best campers a girl could ask for! We were actually sad to see them leave.



1. Parting gifts are a must. These campers were awarded a free baby as their parting gift!



No, seriously. Take him. TAKE. HIM.

It's all about the perks at Camp Donaldson!

3 comments:

AKA Jane Random said...

A free NAKED baby no less!

LuLu's Lane said...

Sounds like lots of fun family- Aaron needs to play my Mom in Srabble she is the pro in our family! :)

LuLu's Lane said...

Sounds like lot of family fun...I think my Mom needs to play Aaron in Scrabble...lol