Thursday, April 2, 2009

Little Known Side Effect: Two Hour Pain Delay

Even tough Wyatt turned 3 in February, he just had his 3 year old check up today. Apparently, if you don't call a good 3 months in advance, you aren't going to get your appointment in a timely fashion. I was somewhat apprehensive about taking him because you just never know what this little guy is going to do or say. Just as we prepped for the dentist, we prepped for the doctor visit. Last night I read him The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor. Of course in that story, Sister and Brother Bear get booster shots. I assured him that he would not be getting any shots at this visit. In an effort to increase my chances of a pleasant child versus a nightmare, I reminded him that I would take him to the "Train Store" (Southerland's) if he was a good little boy...also known as bribing - but that has such a negative connotation, doesn't it?

I am happy to report that he was very well behaved and did not balk at any of the requests of the nurses or the doctor. He was a little shy when the doctor checked him out but he listened to everything she asked him to do. Just when I thought we were in the free and clear, my honesty had to get the best of us. She asked if he was a picky eater. Instead of lying and telling her he eats everything I put in front of him, I fessed up that he was rather picky. This led to her deciding that she wanted to make sure he was not anemic which required him getting his finger pricked. Bless his heart - he didn't even see it coming.

He was laying on his tummy on the table when the lab dude came in with his little kit. Wyatt just followed instructions and put that precious little finger out. I decided it was best to let the element of surprise aid us in the process for fear he would hide under the table if he knew what was coming. He was so surprised to see his blood being squeezed into a container that he didn't even realize that it was something that kind of hurt. He didn't cry but was not happy that "that guy didn't even give me back my bwud." He did get a rather bright, large yellow band-aid though. And we did find out that he is NOT anemic so I guess that was worth the trauma.

Here are a few pics from our celebration visit to the Train Store.


He is wearing his super cute Lucky Brand jeans I got him ON SALE for 50% off in Vegas.




Wyatt showing me his band-aid without taking his eyes off the train. Don't you agree that the band-aid was little much for a finger prick? It looks like a splint!




Finally giving in at my request to please look at the camera and smile...



Oh, and even though he didn't make a peep at the time of pricking, when he talked to his Ditda (J's mom) on the phone a full 2 hours later, he threw in numerous "ows" and held his finger as though the pain was just hitting him. You can imagine the eye rolling it produced from Moi' - such a little "drama king."

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Awww! What a big boy!! And how CUTE are those Lucky jeans!?! Clay wore his yesterday as well.

LuLu's Lane said...

Yes that yellow finger looks like a cast or something. He is such a big boy. His jeans are way cute and in that last picture I think he looks like you. I know I always say he looks so much like J, but here I see Momma! :)