And the thing I enjoy everyday?
Looking through Wyatt's school folder when I pick him up.
I know - don't ever let anyone tell you I am hard to please.
It is like a little piece of Christmas everyday.
Why?
Because this is how our conversations about school go:
Me: Hey bud - how was your day?
Wy: Good
Me: What did you do today?
Wy: mmmm...played
Me: Anything else?
Wy: Nope
I mean it is like he is already a teenage boy who doesn't want to talk about it. Narrative is not his thing unless he is trying to tell me some random story about something that happened a long time ago that I never even realized he processed. Yeah, he has that kind of memory but doesn't want to regurgitate his day for me.
So when I get little pieces of his days sent home in his folder, I learn all kinds of things that I would otherwise never know.
Like he has a best friend.

Now I know if a birthday invitation comes home for this boy, Jacob with a B., we better be there.
I also get to see how he has progressed over the year.
Here is an early stick figure drawing he did.
Check out that uni-leg. And no nose or mouth! But an A for effort for sure.

And then they did some type of lesson about drawing people and this was the result.

I love the belly button. And that the arms come out of his head.
It also gives me insight to how he sees his day.
My guess about this assignment is that the teacher asked him to tell her the steps he follows in the morning. A lesson in First, Next, Then - sequencing I believe it is called.
I have to admit I was a little embarrassed that this is what he listed as numero uno.

He should have come up with something more meaningful like milking the cows, writing his memoir, or taking groceries to the elderly. What sets him apart by saying he watches TV? Then he illustrates it with a clear pic of him sitting on the couch watching the TV. Drat.
At least the next step is evidence that he is given food for breakfast even though to look at him one could wonder about his accessibility to food.

Again, though, with the honesty. He said "There I am sitting with my Pop Tart." DANG IT. I knew I should have been whipping up eggs, bacon, biscuits, and freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast. Now the teacher knows all our secrets.
I love his final step. I can totally relate.

I would think he would say something like "Then I go to school."
Oh no. Then we get in the car.
And that is the end of the story.
And we stay in the car. And then we do it again that afternoon.
And sometimes I throw in a trip to the grocery which involves getting out and then back in the car.
I think he has a love-hate relationship with the car. I know I do.
2 comments:
I love it when Clay brings home school projects! I keep most of them, too!
He is a great little artist! too funny about the car- it seems like so many of us live out of our cars!
Post a Comment