Saturday, January 15, 2011

Go Landers McClarty!!!

After Wyatt had such a positive experience playing soccer this fall, we decided to keep it going and sign him up for basketball. We loved the league he had played in for soccer but had missed the sign ups because we were unsure about him playing at that time.

So we decided to sign him up to play through the Flintville league. It is not through the school but the games and practices are held there. I thought it would be good for him to play in this league because these are the children he will be going to school with in the fall.

G U L P

Yep, my baby is going to public school.

Anywho, from the beginning, Jeremy has not been impressed with anything about the league. According to Jeremy, the coach does not speak and doesn't talk to the kids. You know it has to be bad if Jeremy thinks the person is quiet. After each practice, Wyatt runs in happy just to have been playing. And Jeremy walks in frustrated and shaking his head. Apparently the "assistant coach" texts on her phone the whole time and does zero assisting.

Fast forward to last Saturday - Wyatt's first game.

First of all, the team color is TENNESSEE ORANGE. Yuck.



And so much for the Wildcats or the Rockets. We are the Landers McClarty team. I guess that must be our sponsor but you'd think they would have made us the Landers McClarty Racers or something.

The team we played beat us 20 to nothing. Oh, it was bad. Our poor little team was not good. It was so obvious they had no idea what to do once they got the ball across half court. Now I understood why Jeremy was so frustrated.

Wyatt did good passing the ball in - you could tell he had practiced that. One time he ended up dribbling it down the court because the other kid ran away.



A friend of ours had a kid on the other team. He told Jeremy that they had one player who was almost 7. Hello?!?!? This is supposed to be an UNDER 6 team. And these kids were rough. On the car ride home, Wy said "Those boys in the gray shirts need to go back to Sunday School."

So now I'm not impressed either. There is no schedule, apparently nobody regulates the ages, and they charge you to get into the games. Like who else would come except the parents?

Here is Wyatt's # 1 fan. He watched the kids playing and clapped his hands almost the whole game. At least he enjoyed himself.




As for Wyatt, he is happy so I'll be happy for him.




The plus side? Capturing mullets on film! Yes, this man was all business up front with the party in the back - the classic mullet.




I am gonna go out on a limb and say I think I will spot one at each game. My new challenge for 2011. I know - such nobility in my challenge.

This week's game was cancelled because of the snow but I am hoping that the next game will be more evenly matched - or it is going to be the longest season ever.

3 comments:

Aaron and Erica said...

Oh Emily...you are killing me! And that first picture of Wyatt, it looks like he is saying, "Please get me out of this horrid orange jersey"! I don't think TN Vols orange is really his color. I hope to see you at EMCRA next year :)

Leslie said...

They could have at least given them some sort of mascot...Landers McClarty is awful! You can't cheer for that! Very cute pictures! I can't wait until Clay starts playing sports!

LuLu's Lane said...

I am cracking up at Wy's face in the first picture. I agree the team name should be something cool. I bet it is fun to watch them play at their age!