Last weekend I took Morgan and her BFF Hayden out for a girls night.
First we went by the mall to Justice and Claire's where the girls perused $5 jewelry and hair bows for much longer than I thought possible.
Then we hit Rosie's for a yummy dinner before the pièce de résistance of the evening - the Justin Bieber movie!
Oh My Goodness!
I think I am still in recovery from going to see "Never Say Never" on opening night.
I knew we were in trouble when I saw that about 98% of the audience was between the age of 8 and 14.
Then the chanting began.
And I quote:
"We say Justin, You say Bieber"
"JUSTIN"
"BIEBER"
"JUSTIN"
"BIEBER"
Really? How about I say "Shut" and you say "Up".
And did I mention the movie was in 3D? Oh yes. They had concert footage where he would be reaching his hand out towards the camera and girls in the theater were screaming and reaching out to his hand. Like he was real.
Overall, the movie content was interesting to me because I am a big fan of documentaries. I will watch just about anything if it is a true story. Although I think 16 is a little young to already have a "life story", the footage they did have of him as a child did show off his natural musical talent.
Yes. I said talent. The kid can play the drums, the piano, and he has a nice voice...for now.
Anywho, I am a sucker for home videos especially of cute little toddlers playing the drums really well.
And he has sweet grandparents who helped his mother raise him because she was a young, single mom. At one point in the movie, JB goes to stay with his grandparents for a visit. His old friends came over and they were going to go play basketball but his grandmother wouldn't let him go until he cleaned his room. Ha!
So the format consisted of interviews with people from his life mixed with home video clips and current day footage. All current day footage elicited high pitched squeals from the audience. The.Entire.Time.
At one point, all the girls stand up with their cell phones lit up in their hands and they are swaying back and forth to the song. Now I am 30 something years old. I am not standing up and swaying to a JB song.
And then I hear:
"IT'S JUSTIN BIEBER. GET UP ON YOUR FEET."
You know what?
I got up on my feet, took my camera and faced it backwards, and lit that girl up in the face! Oh yeah - as we like to say in the Donaldson House - I burrrrrrrrrrned you.
Sorry but I had to get documentation for my blog.
Then I proceeded to sit my 30 something year old tail back down for the rest of the show.
So we got through it. All 90 plus minutes of it. And then in the lobby, the minions (not mine of course) busted out into a spontaneous rendition of his hit song "Baby." It was like being present for a flash mob.
And you know what I realized at that moment?
Justin Bieber makes people happy. Well, he makes tween girls happy. These girls were on cloud 9 and I could think of worse things or people that they could be obsessed with. So I decided to give the movie 2 lit cell phones up.
1 comment:
How funny that you got a pic of that girl! Bless your heart! I don't know if I could have made it through that movie with all the squeals!
Post a Comment